Call for Program Proposals
The SSA/CIMA joint Annual Meeting will be in Tucson, Arizona, May 15-18, 2019, at the Tucson Marriott University Park Hotel. The 2019 Program Committee invites submissions for 60 or 90-minute sessions. Proposals are welcome on any subject or skill relevant to the archives profession. Current issues and recently completed projects are also of interest. Proposals will be evaluated on the completeness of the description, diversity of speakers, and topics. All aspects of archives and records management are encouraged. The deadline for submission is November 16, 2018. Submit your ideas using the online form or by email to email@example.com.
This year’s conference theme is “Crossing Borders, Blazing Trails,” and proposals are encouraged that engage with the ideas of discovery, diversity, inclusion, collaboration, and innovation that characterize the history and spirit of Tucson.
Specific areas of member interest include:
- Software specific how-to: ArchivesSpace, Excel, etc.
- Encoded Archival Description in practice
- Donor relations
- Community archives
- Government records
- Legal issues
- Management and professional concerns
- Skills training: conservation, digital conversion, basic coding, exhibit design
If you have a single paper around which you’d like to form a session, also use the online form, and the Program Committee will attempt to create an entire session around your proposal!
Session formats may include, but are not limited to:
- Panel Discussion: A traditional session with three to five speakers, each giving 10-15 minute presentations on a single theory or perspective on a given topic, followed by time for questions. Prepared papers are not required, the Moderator/Chair is usually one of the speakers.
- Roundtable Discussion: Less formal than a Panel Discussion, a Roundtable session consists of one to three presentations of 10 minutes each that describe a theory, issue, or initiative followed by small group discussions where participants and speakers share ideas. A session Chair is not required.
- Lightning Talks: A large panel of eight to ten speakers that deliver 5 minute talks on a common theme or issue, keeping a lively pace and sharing relevant take-away ideas. A session Chair is required to compile presentation materials and maintain the time schedule.
- Hands-on Training: Are you a whiz at making phase boxes? Know how to use Excel like a pro? Have experience building exhibits of paper items? Share your skills with other members in a mini-workshop setting. Focus on one or two skills that can be shared in a 60 or 90-minute session. Skills Training sessions can have one or two speakers, and a moderator to assist with materials. Proposals should include details of the speaker’s relevant experience or training.
- Lunch Meeting/Discussion: Are you part of a state or local archival organization that would like to meet up at SSA/CIMA? Use this form to let us know! Want to start a book club or a study group? Get your special interest on the program to reach more potential members.